The National Park Sajama is located to the Northwest of Oruro, Bolivia. Features the imposing snow covered Sajama mountain, altoandinas lagoons, thermal water and andinismo routes.
Coipasa is Bolivia's second largest salt flat, in the arid but colourful Altiplano of Bolivia, about 100 miles (160 km) southwest of the city of Oruro, near the Chilean border.
The Carnival of Oruro is held as a sign of devotion to the Virgin of Socavon. The Carnival of Oruro is one of the largest cultural events and festivities in Bolivia and Latin America.
Santuario del Socavon is a religious temple of special devotion for the inhabitants of Oruro, where the Candlemas's Virgin is worshipped. The splendid Carnival of Oruro is carried out in her honor.
Casa de la Cultura building in Oruro, Bolivia, belonged to Simon I. Patino known as the tin baron. It has a gallery of colonial art and French style furniture.
Enjoy a panoramic view of the city of Oruro in Bolivia from the national monument called Lighthouse of Conchupata, where the current bolivian national emblem was hoisted for the first time on November 7th, 1851,
San Miguel de la Rancheria is one of the oldest churches in the city of Oruro in Bolivia. It keeps paintings and sculptures of enormous sacred value.
The Santo Domingo Church in Oruro, Bolivia, was built in 1602 and since that time it had been modified several times. Its current plan corresponds to the eighteenth century and it was remodeled at the beginning of the twentieth century.
La Portada del Beaterio, sculpted in stone, is a pilgrimage center in devotion to its founder, Sister Nazaria March, beatified in 1993. It has a convent where a small museum exists with its founder's belongings.
The Yarvicoya Church is another remarkable example of the mestizo Baroque art. It is located a few kilometers from Oruro in Bolivia. The church has been declared a national monument.
The silver, lead and tin that were extracted of the tunnels of San Jose mine were very important for the economy of Bolivia. The mine, located at 5 kilometers from downtown Oruro, began to be exploited two centuries ago.
Vinto is a town located at five kilometers from the city of Oruro in Bolivia. Vinto is the Bolivia's most important industrial center. Vinto has several smelting furnaces used to purify argentiferous metals
"Sepulturas" (Tombs) is a place where the production extracted from the mines of Oruro in Bolivia is processed before sending it to the exportation ports.
Cala Cala is a town which was built at about 21 kilometers from Oruro in Bolivia. Cala Cala is an archaeological area, where pre-colombinan paintings can be found. Flocks of flamingos, llamas and felines, were sketched with simple lines by the ancient Bolivians.
Located Southwest from Oruro in Bolivia, Curahuara de Carangas was built over the flat terrain of the Altiplano (High Plateau) while following a typical architectural style from colonial times. Curahuara was also known as "Ruta de la Plata" (The Silver Route), and it was the only way of access to the Pacific Ocean.
At approximately 20 kilometers from the town of Turco near Oruro, Bolivia, are the pre-historic ruins of Pumiri that can be seen from a distance. These ruins are known as "Cuidad de Piedra" (City of Stone).
The waters of the spas of Capachos and Obrajes near Oruro, Bolivia, are hot and medicinal and a temptation for the tourists that arrive in Oruro.
The impressive dunes of sand that seem to be extracted of a gigantic desert give a special panorama to the skirts of the San Pedro hill, located at two kilometers from the city of Oruro in Bolivia.
From Chullpares bridge near Oruro, built in the colonial time, the beauty of the highlands of Bolivia can be appreciated.
Lake Poopo is located at 65 kilometers from Oruro in Bolivia, on the route that leads to the neighboring department of Potosi. The biggest attraction is the island of Panza, an ideal place for hunting and fishing.
A temple of stone of remarkable mestizo style is the main jewel of the first town in the region to be founded by the Spanish conquerors. According to the historical data, Paria near Oruro, Bolivia, was founded in 1535 by Diego de Almagro and the captain Juan de Saavedra.